Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Gym Memberships Are a Waste of Money (and other fitness lies I used to believe)


Gym Memberships Are a Waste of Money high
I am a budgeter.  I haven’t always been a saver, but marriage totally changed me, and now I love the game of trying to see how much money I can save.  I have a math degree and a business degree, and I love playing with numbers.  I can happily get lost in spreadsheets for hours.  I know, I’m a total nerd.  But don’t quit on me yet!  You just have to know that I don’t like to spend money on unnecessary things.  And gym memberships are COMPLETELY unnecessary….right?
I mean, there are tons of free workout videos on YouTube.  Do you enjoy yoga, tae bo, pilates, or even Zumba?  I can rent just about any kind of workout DVD from the library for free.  I have two legs of my own, that can run wherever they want, whenever they want.  I even had a treadmill at home, so I could run or walk when the weather was bad.  Who needs a gym?!   They are expensive and don’t offer anything I can’t find for free by myself, thank you very much.
There was only one tiny problem.  I NEVER did any of those things by myself.  I would finish one DVD session (maybe…or maybe I wouldn’t finish, since no one was stopping me from quitting, and I was already really tired anyway), and then never use it again.  I would try to run, but then quit after feeling some knee pain, or maybe just because it was hard.  But who needs to workout that hard, anyway?  I’m not training for anything, and I have kids to chase every day!  “My kids are my cardio!”  I used to be confused by the question on the form at the doctor’s office that asked if I exercised regularly.  Surely no one normal actually does that, right?  Carrying laundry baskets up and down stairs must count, so “Yes.”
I’m not exactly sure how anyone twisted my arm enough to actually try going to the gym.  My crazy sister-in-law said she goes to classes at the gym sometimes and loves it, but she is a do-er.  I’m more of a chill-at-home-er.  Pack up all the kids, put on spandex, and make a fool out of myself in front of a bunch of strangers, all while I’m not allowed to quit because there is an instructor in the room?  No, thanks.  BUT, she had a guest pass.  A FREE one.  And since I love free, and I love my sister-in-law, and I honestly wasn’t getting anywhere fast on my own, I decided to try it.
Can you guess what happened?  I fell in LOVE.  I mean, head over heels.  So, here is my list of fitness lies I used to believe, including, “Gym memberships are a waste of money!”

  1. Gym memberships are a waste of money

They totally aren’t!  They are completely worth every penny, and more.  I get FREE childcare.  EVERY.SINGLE.DAY if I want.  It’s like they are handing out sanity cards.  I have accountability, access to amazing facilities, and a ton of class options I LOVE that I could never have gotten on my own for free – hot yoga?  Amazing, but can’t do that at home.  TRX?  Body Pump?  Power Cardio?   All amazing classes that utilize extra equipment that you can bet I would have never spent my hard-earned money on to have at home.
  1. I will look like a fool and everyone will be judging me

Okay, you might look like a fool.  But you know what?  Everyone will be loving you.  Chances are, you will all look like fools together, and you will all be more confident and loving because of it.  In my group exercise classes, we celebrate looking like fools together.  We laugh.  We make sexy faces.  We pose.  We dance.  We have FUN.  If you are an introvert like me, those things might scare you a little bit.  But believe me, you won’t be alone, and it really isn’t scary.  It really is actually awesome.
  1. I’m too fat/weak to go to the gym

Um, that is the dumbest thing ever.   That is WHY you NEED the gym, and that is why EVERYONE ELSE is there too!!  I think I had this image in my mind that everyone at the gym would be perfectly sculpted and well-proportioned.  Well-proportioned doesn’t even have anything to do with going to the gym, but in my mind, all the bodies were perfect.  I was so wrong.  Sure, you will meet a few of those (but here’s a secret: they are normal people just like you).  But the majority will be perfectly imperfect, just like you.  Your instructor might even have a little extra around the belly area, just like you.  But you will all learn to work hard together, and get stronger and healthier together.  It really is beautiful.
  1. I’ll be alone and it will be awkward

I hope you’ve realized by now that the gym doesn’t have to be like this.  I never feel awkward at my gym.  On the contrary, it has taught me to be more secure and confident in the me God has created and beautifully designed.
  1. I’m being selfish by joining a gym and leaving my kids with total strangers

Being an active participant at my gym has been one of the BEST things I could have done for my kids.  They love the child watch area, where trained professionals care for and teach them in love while I work out.  They see momma making health a priority, and that is so important.  My gym offers kid’s classes, so they actually get to participate in things like Kid’s Yoga, and build healthy habits now!  There is also a splash pad and kid’s swimming pool at my gym, and this has contributed to momma’s sanity and unending fun for my kids more times than I can count.  Plus, our gym offers all sorts of sports and lessons for kiddos, which we get a discount on since we are members.  The gym is NOT just for me – it is for my entire family.
  1. The only reason to join a gym is to lose weight

That was my original reason for joining.  I have GOT to lose this extra baby weight, amirght?!  1.5 years later, I have lost ZERO pounds.  I’ve really started to believe that weight is ONLY a number, and doesn’t matter as much as I thought it did.  I have less fat, and more muscle, and I just try to ignore the scale.  But it has been more than that.  I work out to literally feel better – endorphins, anyone???  Yes, please!!!  I am healthier, more confident, and have more friendships because I go to the gym.
12661759_10101183691065883_7108962903839596029_n
Are you convinced yet??  If not, I have FREE guest passes!  😉  We love our Y!!!!

What are some fitness lies that YOU are working to overcome?

No comments:

Post a Comment